[Wien] Introduction

Michael Bauer (spam-protected)
Do Aug 17 10:44:50 CEST 2006

Dear Gabor,

> 1. What antenna am I need, and what wlan router? I got a very cheap
> and SOHO D-Link 514, but I plan to buy a WRT54G.

You can check if the D-Link is supported by either Freifunk or OpenWRT
firmware, if so, you can use that one. Antenna depends on your situation
to the general network, it is best to build a pole on the roof and get
at least 2 antennas (one direct connecting to a direct peer and one
omnidirectional antenna). If you do not hesitate to invest money we
would suggest you to get 5Ghz (802.11a) equipment as the quality is
better.

> 2. What is the monthly fee? Ok, I know this is a private network, with
> the sponsoring of ISPs, but it's not clear to me, how you get incomes
> to pay for the bandwidth.

There is no monthly fee, donations are welcome. Bandwith is donated and
partly payed of a sister-project (community based housing/datacenter).

> 3. Is it open for foreign peoples also, or only to residents in Vienna?

As you live in a place where you can recieve the signal, the network is
open for you. Feel free to meet us on monday.

greetings mihi

--
/usr/bin/perl -e '1==$#ARGV||die "usage: $0 <iPod Volume> <searchstring>";
open(D,"$ARGV[0]/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB")||die $!;$_=join "",<D>;