[Nodedb-interop] changed summary text of our group

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Tue Dec 1 12:24:00 CET 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Mitar wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> Do you want to provide a wiki?
>
> We can. Do you think that we should setup a new wiki/page which would be
> dedicated to this or just make some it under our current wiki? I think
> the first way would be better as it can be easier expanded with other
> things.

however you wish :)

>> In case there is the need for it, Funkfeuer Vienna can theoretically
>> help you to get PI space. At least we can try. You should just be
>> clear about the recurring financial costs to RIPE. But on the other
>> hand: public IPs are the natural way of doing peering agreements.
>
> At least for us we would currently stick to private IPs for IPv4. Later
> on we will probably move to IPv6 mesh and then we would probably like to
> have official/registered IPv6 addresses.

ok, well.... also Funkfeuer has a /32 v6 space... so there is plenty of this.
I think we can share some in case you need :))

> I also think it would be useful to cooperate with guifi.net on this, as
> they are also going in this direction of being possible to provide
> public IP space and similar. So you both could become smaller wifi
> networks' windows to RIPE.

Yes, we could help the community Wi-Fi networks in this respect.

Well, we know already that the main problem for small community Wi-Fi networks
to get public v4 (and also v6 space) is the problem that the RIPE membership costs
easily 2000,- year.
As said above, I see no reason why we can not share some part of our v6 space with other
community Wi-Fi networks without the high costs of RIPE membership (some sharing of the
common financial burden us generally a good tone within our community - and this also lowers
costs for everybody ). The other question of course would be if the community Wi-Fi network
can get v6 upstream access (and v6 BGP peering ).

> But for now I think it is important to document this. So IP ranges
> everybody is using for example.

OK, here is a simple table (which can be copied to a wiki and eventually end up in a DB :)

Network name          | Country   | City       | point of contact      | peering points | AS  (if available) | IP Ranges (separated by ";")
Funkfeuer Vienna      | Austria   | Vienna     | (spam-protected)    | VIX            | AS35492            | 78.41.112.0/21; 193.238.156.0/22

... insert yours :)

a.