[Interop-dev] GSoC 2017 student application

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 22 09:51:21 CET 2017

Hi Xiang,

you are welcome to start contributing to netjsongraph.js.

If NetJSON is accepted we will welcome applications from anyone and I
will surely welcome yours and review it carefully, especially if you are
an enthusiast of this kind of technologies.

Let's get technical, I am not very satisfied with D3. I found it very
hard to work with. I am also not satisfied with SVG, because as the
number of elements on the graph grows, it becomes very slow, especially
on mobile.

More people have suggested to me to switch to
http://visjs.org/network_examples.html, which is something I'm considering.
This example seems to be using canvas:
http://visjs.org/examples/network/events/renderEvents.html

netjsongraph.js has attracted quite some interest from around the world,
but I couldn't dedicate much time to it recently. It is also lacking
automated tests and a modern build process. Probably it would be better
to develop it using ES6 (which have some kind of built-in templating
feature) and transpile it with babel.js.

Our goals should be the following:

* make it faster with large numbers
* make it more mobile friendly
* use modern tools that are familiar to JS developers, so they can
contribute more easily
* add automated tests so we can be more confident of introducing changes
* get rid of complex features
* make it easy to extend, so users can experiment and build their own
derivatives
* make it easy to redraw/update the graph as new data comes in, at least
at the library level we should support this

If we can accomplish these tasks, the library has the potential to
become useful to more communities and become a basic building block for
more advanced networking tools.

Take a look also at this other application, which is using
netjsongraph.js for the visualization part:
https://github.com/netjson/django-netjsongraph

Federico