[Interop-dev] A survey of community network management solutions

Mitar (spam-protected)
Fri May 22 02:04:22 CEST 2015

Hi!

> The new version of nodeshot has something interesting that is not
> mentioned in that table which is a notification system so that users >
can know of what happens around them if they want to.

Interesting. So like a community content and communication features. I
think that is a good point. Network management solutions in community
networks often grow into those directions.

In wlan slovenija we used Python for this reason. We were then able to
integrate Django, Python, nodewatcher v2, Django CMS all together. So
not developing those as features in nodewatcher v2, but still making
them share database, models, etc. In v3 we work on a more explicit
modularity.

> There are also a few other modules like a simple CMS to write content
> pages, login with social networks, a tool to contact a subset or all the
> users and so on.
>
> The curious thing, which I often ask myself why, is that most of those
> programs are written in python but do not share any common library.

I agree. With nodewatcher v3 we are making all functionalities a Python
modules. It should be relatively easy then to extract them into a
stand-alone package which can be used by itself, or as a nodewatcher
module. Once a function is encapsulated with a clean API, then it is
much easier to make it stand-alone as well.

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m