[Interop-dev] A survey of community network management solutions

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Fri May 22 11:35:14 CEST 2015

On 05/22/2015 02:04 AM, Mitar wrote:
> I agree. With nodewatcher v3 we are making all functionalities a Python
> modules. It should be relatively easy then to extract them into a
> stand-alone package which can be used by itself, or as a nodewatcher
> module. Once a function is encapsulated with a clean API, then it is
> much easier to make it stand-alone as well.

That's great, because when a package is general is enough, it can
receive contributions from a broad range of people.

Is there any particular feature you have been able to extract into a
separate python packagethat we can start contributing to?

In nodeshot, we extracted a few that are quite used in the django
communityand receive quite many interesting patches:

  * https://github.com/djangonauts/django-rest-framework-gis (geojson api)
  * https://github.com/djangonauts/django-hstore (key value store in
    postgres)
  * https://github.com/djangonauts/django-rest-framework-hstore (add
    support for hstore in django-rest-framework)

Networking side, there are these two, which are quite new:

  * https://github.com/ninuxorg/netdiff (detect changes in network topology)
  * https://github.com/ninuxorg/netengine (intended for automatic data
    entry in the node-db for nodes that are not self generated, eg:
    importing an existing network - not quite ready for production use
    yet though)

And then there are a few other features that I plan to extract later:

  * an elevation API proxy that returns GeoJSON, needed for the
    elevation profile tool into our frontend, now is a view residing
    here:
    https://github.com/ninuxorg/nodeshot/blob/master/nodeshot/core/nodes/views.py#L269
    but can easily extracted in a separate package

  * a proof of concept of storage for metrics/statistics built with
    influxdb 0.9 rc:
    https://github.com/ninuxorg/nodeshot/tree/master/nodeshot/core/metrics
    I read that some Freifunkas are interested in influxdb, I tried to
    reach them here:
    https://github.com/tcatm/meshviewer/pull/8#issuecomment-103854925
    But got no response, and on that repo I cannot find information on
    how to get in touch. Peraphs someone reading here could tell them
    that we are also working on it and I've been following actively the
    development of influxdb 0.9, contributing to the python-client in
    order to fix an issue I was expriencing.

The approach to extract packages has proven to be very effective. It
takes a bit more time initially to do the work, but afterwards each
package can thrive indipendently and find new contributors.

Federico