[Interop-dev] A survey of community network management solutions

Ben West (spam-protected)
Thu May 21 16:46:16 CEST 2015

Thank you for sharing this spreadsheet.

Of possibly tangential relevance to node monitoring tools, I've been using
an inelegant hodgepodge of centralized syslog gathering from OpenWRT AA and
BB-based nodes, which I feed to a host in the Cloud running syslog-ng.  I
can then issue email alerts based on regex patterns applied to the log
traffic gathered.  The log traffic is also retained in a database, with log
entries indexed per nodes' hostname, and pruned out after a month.

This is indeed drinking from a firehose, but the syslog traffic gathered
over any wireless links still travels as UDP, so it's a leaky firehose.
Also, it should coexist fine with any of the management solutions mentioned
in Mitar's spreadsheet.

This approach has proven quite useful for debugging purposes (e.g. ability
to scroll back in time to observe events leading up to wifi driver crash),
although it's definitely a bit log-heavy for "production" use.  My vague
goal, at any rate, had been to drop this syslog gatherer and migrate to a
more elegant monitoring approach.  But, I'd still be happy to share a
write-up about it, if list members find interesting.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net