[Interop-dev] NetJSON node positions

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Jun 28 12:18:22 CEST 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Nemesis <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> I wonder if it makes sense to add a 5th NetJSON object to our list,
>> one that contains node positions (and some metadata)?
>
> For positions you mean the geographical coordinates?

Yes.

>> I would like to keep this separated from Routes/Graph because it might
>> come from a different source (not the routing protocol).
>
> If we have two structures having completely different meanings, it makes
> sense to have two separate objects.
> If the meaning is similar, or even the same but with some additional
> data, then we should definitely not define a new object.

My idea would be "node_id" combined with two floating point variables
that give you the x/y coordinate.

Optionally maybe the unit for the coordinates as a "global" information.

> More objects we define, more complex it will be to implement netjson.
> The key to GeoJSON's success is simplicity and wide adoption. With
> simplicity it is possible to have fast and wide adoption. More adoption
> means more interoperability.

Most Community Mesh Networks are stationary, so the content of the
"position" netjson object will be always static.

On the other side it could also be used for mobile networks with GPS onboard.

Henning