[Interop-dev] NetJSON node positions

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Sat Jun 27 21:16:31 CEST 2015

Hey henning,

sorry for the late response, i have been ill last week and it feels a
lot of time I haven't been able to work on netjson.

On 06/24/2015 11:23 AM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it makes sense to add a 5th NetJSON object to our list,
> one that contains node positions (and some metadata)?

For positions you mean the geographical coordinates?

> I would like to keep this separated from Routes/Graph because it might
> come from a different source (not the routing protocol).

If we have two structures having completely different meanings, it makes
sense to have two separate objects.
If the meaning is similar, or even the same but with some additional
data, then we should definitely not define a new object.

More objects we define, more complex it will be to implement netjson.
The key to GeoJSON's success is simplicity and wide adoption. With
simplicity it is possible to have fast and wide adoption. More adoption
means more interoperability.