[Interop-dev] Network Device JSON Schema

Jernej Kos (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 28 09:51:04 CET 2014

Hello!

On 28. 10. 2014 09:43, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that we need both, an interface
> for telemetry and one for static (config) data. So far we (Christian and
> me) have worked on the static part for which I'm glad about feedback.

Yes, this is true, we need both. But I believe that addressing telemetry
first is easier as the agent providing telemetry information is usually
much simpler in design than a full node database.

Because without actual implementation support, a schema is not very
useful by itself.

> And maybe starting with the telemetry part might turn out easier --
> although that part usually needs some config data (at least for
> identifying the devices in question).

It is true that you first need to configure the devices, but you usually
do this via a standard interface (for example in OpenWrt via UCI). So it
is a simple matter of matching actual interfaces to their configuration
sections -- nodewatcher-agent does this for OpenWrt/UCI and so it is
independent of the mechanism used for actually generating that UCI
configuration.

Jernej