[Interop-dev] JSON formats update

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Tue Nov 25 15:51:55 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

i've been thinking a lot about all the things we wrote and said, I
chatted and talked to as much people as I could, included some openwrt
devs on irc and I tried to condense everything in these latest changes:

  * repo name changed: https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks

  * added link to mailing list in README to facilitate newcomers to join

  * added monitoring data example:
    https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/blob/master/examples/monitoring-data.json
    - it's basically a merge of nodewatcher-agent and ubus, but only the
    data that changes costantly

  * simplified network topology example:
    https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/commit/d24486c510df725272dded572bd39b013bfa22f1
    - I liked henning's initial JSON proposal more than what I came up
    with later, so I made it more similar to the initial one

  * more complete config : added virtual interfaces, vlan, bridge

  * config json example: made it more similar to ubus and
    nodewatcher-agent when possible (that is when it didn't contradict
    what we said or wrote previously)

I think we are moving closer to something useful.

The next step I want to make is to get feedback from the openwrt-dev list.

But before I'd love to hear feedback from you all first.

When you have time, please read the README
https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/blob/master/README.rst
and take a look at the example of the format you are mostly interested
in: https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks/tree/master/examples

If you see something that looks wrong or makes you doubtful bring it up
again.

Unresolved feedback will be merged with the feedback from openwrt-dev.

I also encourage you all to star and watch the repo on github.

Federico