[Interop-dev] Round 3 Network Device Config JSON Schema

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 19 11:55:54 CET 2014

Hi Ralf,

On 11/18/2014 10:45 AM, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 02:34:50PM +0100, Nemesis wrote:
>> The *"device"* attribute in a wireless interface points to elements in
>> "*physical_devices*".
>> https://github.com/interop-dev/network-device-schema/blob/7f746588df4f70429dafbb0df80775dbe73b531b/network-device-configuration-example.json#L26
>>
>> is it ok to call the attribute "device"? Or should we call it
>> "physical_device"?
> Yet another proposal: I'd use net_device (or network_device following
> Mitar's suggestion on more verbose names).
> [In our schema we also model Antennas, and both, 'Net_Device' and
> 'Antenna' have 'Device' as common ancestor... it makes sense to model
> common attributes like manufacturer...]

"physical_devices" would be related to the information you can get with
the command: iw phy
this terminology it is referenced also on *wireless.kernel.org*:

/"/ /The <devname> and <phyname> fields represent the virtual interface
(devname) and physical device (phyname). <devname> is often wlan0,
wlan1, etc, while <phyname> is phy0, phy1, etc."//
/http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw/vif/

Ralf, after thinking about this, are you still sure about changing the
name of that section?

We also model antennas in ninux (eg: dish, omni, etc), although I think
it would be better to leave antennas for a later period in which I hope
we'll have more contributors and clearer ideas.

Federico