[Discuss] CCC streams

ramiro cosentino (spam-protected)
Di Jan 3 20:09:13 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 14:52 +0100, Teemu Schaabl wrote:
> Rama((spam-protected))@2006.01.03 13:25:52 +0100:
> > wow, it's very sad to see that ccc was using proprietary codecs on their
> > video streams...
> >
> > seems that nobody knew about ogg/theora?
> >
> > weird, anyhow they were using icecast2, which has support for theora for
> > quite a while now, and works VERY fine. just a pitty, it was a step
> > away..
> >
> > Aaron: maybe you want to forward this lines to them? it might probably
> > help for the next ccc.
> >
> > using proprietary codecs like wmv, is voll bullshit.
> >

> blablah,blahblah .. propietary codec .. blahblah, blahblah leads to:
>
> https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/wiki/Streams#Recorded_videos

!!! blah blah ? what different/useful thing does that page you lead us
say?

that "soon" there will be the "proper" videos in place?

<snip>
These early downloads are videos in medium quality in WMV format. Don't
get impatient if you're not able to view them on your system, there will
be videos in open formats (and in better encoding quality) "soon".
</snip>

"don't get impatient" ? fuck it ! those who did the stream didn't do the
minimal research to discover which good, current and most important FREE
(not as in free beer, but free-speech! ;) streaming technology could be
used.

They did not do the streaming properly in the first place.
Now they have a mess to deal with the archives and convert to proper
formats/codecs. We can sit for a long while until those videos become
released. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, very bad from a technische univ (tu-ilmenau) to have done some
crap like this.

I think that's enough for this thread, unless someone wants to add smthg

ciao