[Discuss] CCC streams

Teemu Schaabl (spam-protected)
Mi Jan 4 08:44:45 CET 2006

ramiro cosentino((spam-protected))@2006.01.03 20:09:13 +0100:
> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 14:52 +0100, Teemu Schaabl wrote:
> > Rama((spam-protected))@2006.01.03 13:25:52 +0100:
> > >
> > > using proprietary codecs like wmv, is voll bullshit.
> > >

> > blablah,blahblah .. propietary codec .. blahblah, blahblah leads to:
> >
> > https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/wiki/Streams#Recorded_videos
>
> !!! blah blah ? what different/useful thing does that page you lead us
> say?
>
> that "soon" there will be the "proper" videos in place?
>
> <snip>
> These early downloads are videos in medium quality in WMV format. Don't
> get impatient if you're not able to view them on your system, there will
> be videos in open formats (and in better encoding quality) "soon".
> </snip>
>
> "don't get impatient" ? fuck it ! those who did the stream didn't do the
> minimal research to discover which good, current and most important FREE
> (not as in free beer, but free-speech! ;) streaming technology could be
> used.

holy shit, that freedom thingy again .. read on, my dear, as there was an
ongoing discussion on this topic at that page - they used it because it worked.

> They did not do the streaming properly in the first place.
> Now they have a mess to deal with the archives and convert to proper
> formats/codecs. We can sit for a long while until those videos become
> released. I hope I'm wrong.

there are 4 days of rawmaterial, 9h a day, which need to be cuted, mastered,
... and everything is based on volunteers time (which btw. did already a lot
of editing at the congress, and missed a lot of fun). I know some of these
people, they didn't look too good after 16h of cutting videos ..

write them (the orga-team) yourself, get flamed back and your mail printed
in next "Datenschleuder", or - volunteer yourself next time. they are always
seeking good people in building infrastructre and helping out with their skills.

> Anyway, very bad from a technische univ (tu-ilmenau) to have done some
> crap like this.

tell them.

cheers,
teemu
--
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision
 for the limits of the world." - Schopenhauer