[Wien] ipv6 with olsrd2?

Gui Iribarren (spam-protected)
Fr Aug 11 15:37:12 CEST 2017

On 11/08/17 13:43, Christian Pock wrote:
> Hi Gui,
>
> you are right: IPv6 on olsr1 is no longer active on the majority of node that supported it earlier this year (or last year). Anyway, as far as I know the tunnel service "6in4" is still active, thus: as long as you are able to find a path on (spam-protected), you might be lucky to get online.
>
> As of know, IPv6 is delivered by olsr2, as you already discovered on your own *thumbsup*. To get a clear view on what nodes support (spam-protected), you can investigate the olsrv2info output or just look at these 2 links:
> http://ff.cybercomm.at/monitor/olsr2.php
> http://ff.cybercomm.at/map2/
>
> For some reason, not all routers running olsr2 are reachable via IPv6. As far as we found out, this is related to the  setting "WDS bridge" on Ubiquiti-Antennas running AirOS 6 or earlier (with must be enabled). So in case there's a node listed in the "olsr2 cloud", a missing WDS-bridge-enabled setting could cause that the node is not available (highlighted blue in the listing and map).

yeah, "WDS" must always be enabled on all bridges (in some AirOs
versions is called "Transparent bridge mode") or funny things happen in
IPv6 world

> Also, some nodes running olsr2 do not have a connection to the rest of the olsr2-could. That means, they are isolated without the uplink node broadcasting the default routes to ::0. Looks like gri102 is such a node :-(

sorry for the typo. I meant gri106.

> Recently I discovered also an issue related to the versions of olsrd2 daemon (oonf): most of the routers use version 0.13.0, which does not seam to work properly together with the most actual version 0.14.1: updating a node from 0.13.0 to 0.14.1 will isolate it. Details see this github issue:
> https://github.com/OLSR/OONF/issues/10

i'm using a seemingly old version 0.9.2:
stein712# olsrd2 --version
 OLSRd2 version 0.9.2
 Git commit: v0.9.2-archive

and i communicate OK with gri106 (and i get routes for 'gri121' and
'test') so i assume gri106 (and the others) are also using
olsrd2 <= 0.13.0

looking at the map you provided, and comparing with OLSR1 (ipv4) map:
http://ff.cybercomm.at/map/
an explanation would be that some ubiquiti in the way between 'gri106'
and 'mh' is missing the "WDS" / "Transparent bridge mode" activated

CC'ing here the tech-c of both nodes, to see if we can solve it together :)

> I hope this helps to explain the situation.
> To solve this for you, I propose to get in contact with the node owner/tech-c of gri106 and his/her uplink-partner.
>
> Stein712 has node-id=2843, that is 0xb1b.
> Your node's IPv6 user block therefore is: 2a02:61:b1b::/48.

perfect, will use that

Thank you so much Christian for all the debugging tools and information!
I was totally lost since it's the first time I use olsr2. That map and
status overview was invaluable.