[Wien] FYI - RouterOS - 4.0beta3

Jan Sawicki (spam-protected)
Do Mai 28 15:23:30 CEST 2009

I've just upgraded all my routerboards to new development version of RoS.

Just for your information whats new:

- 802.11n support, already tested by few people, real throughput on outdoor
links (2-3km) 100-150 mbps fdx !!! but it nearly kills all b/g tranmisions
in vicinitiy

- MPLS/VPLS  (used by tier-1 carriers, protocol agnostic mechanism of
transporting data regardless of their type), very powerfull
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPLS

- MetaRouter virtualization mechanism, allowing to run linux or another OS
instances inside of RouterOS !!!, of course it also allows to run another
instances of RouterOS allowing to easily give away wlan/lan interfaces to
users without them accessing "core" router and messing with main
configuration

- many small fixes for openvpn, pppoe support and many many more.

Its called development version but it seems to be even more stable than 3.x
versions !!!

I encourage everybody with routerboards to upgrade, people who want to try,
just download winbox and use mikrotik demo server (routeros.com - explained)
to make your first steps in RouterOS.