[Nodedb-interop] did you know about the meshboard implementation ?

Mitar (spam-protected)
Mon Jan 11 10:09:27 CET 2010

Hi!

> All the ip provisioning is already automated in our case, avoinding
> users to get addresses for themselves, that's a jey for growing, if not
> peopletrend to take big ranges and on ipv4, you are dead. Instead we do
> provide a small range, and if they grow, of course it expands, therefore
> is much more efficient.

I completely agree. And also from maintenance perspective it is much
better if this things are automated. Especially in IPv6 would be hard to
do this things by hand.

> That's not only our experience, I would say that freenetworks.org got
> collapsed also because of that, all the IP ranges got allocated,
> regardless if the IPs were in use or not, and therefore, became useless.

True. But this is the problem of IPv4. I think that we should try to
survive IPv4 era and hope for IPv6. Because in reality, 10/8 is simply
to small for everybody. OK, we cut put a lot of effort to more precise
allocations and could probably pull this thing off (there is space for
16777214 hosts in 10/8), but is it really worth for this few years?

> Really, oncve it works automatic, we don't care very much anymore, there
> is no risk of duplicates, so athought the info is in the database, I
> don't think that we do have a report of a summary of all the ranges in
> use, only what you have seen, of course that report can be reworked, but
> again, and that is another example, would be much better to provide an
> XML report for that, so later anyone who wants to develop any report in
> whatever tool of his preference, might simply parse the XML.

I agree. It would be very useful also to define schema of IP ranges in
use, IP pools, zones, and services available there. Especially services.

So, I do not know. Fill the table on the wiki in whatever way you think
it is best. We could also make a test case and you (or we together) make
an XML proposal for IP ranges used and then for example you would enter
XML URL in place of your IP ranges and I would make a reader for it
which would fetch it, parse it and fill the lower table accordingly.

Mitar