[Interop-dev] Examples of extensions

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 17 16:58:05 CEST 2017

Hi Iwan and welcome,

sorry for my late response, I was travelling and couldn't find enough
time to reply properly earlier.

On 10/09/2017 03:54 PM, Iwan Aucamp wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems like there is some considerations for extensions to the
> protocol but it is not entirely clear to me how these will be
> implemented. Is there some examples of extension specifications?

Yes, although they are not listed on the website yet.

The most used extension is the OpenWRT Backend of OpenWISP 2, which is
documented here (the configuration engine of OpenWISP 2 is published as
a standlone project called netjsonconfig):

http://netjsonconfig.openwisp.org/en/stable/backends/openwrt.html

Look for the word "NetJSON extension".

> Is there specific mechanisms in json-schema that can be used to extend
> netjson without copying the netjson schema or should extensions
> basically just be seen as additional schemas with some common elements ?

This is how we are doing this in netjsonconfig:

https://github.com/openwisp/netjsonconfig/blob/master/netjsonconfig/backends/openwrt/schema.py

> I want to use netjson to configure networking for linux (specifically
> RHEL 7.x, systemd-network and also kickstart) and I would like to
> accommodate some implementation specific details also.

That's very interesting!

To accommodate implementation specific details you can use custom
attributes. You may want to send us updates on this list before
releasing your software so we can find out if there are duplicate
extensions that we can merge.

BTW: what's kickstart?

> Further I'm not sure if there is some irc channel or similar for netjson
> but I made https://matrix.to/#/#netjson:matrix.org which is linked
> to irc://chat.freenode.net/netjson <http://chat.freenode.net/netjson> if
> someone is interested - it can also be linked to gitter.im
> <http://gitter.im>

Thank you for taking the initiative, I joined the channel and set the
autojoin.

Federico