[Interop-dev] GSoC 2017 student application

GeekPlux (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 10 19:58:30 CET 2017

I’m so sorry for the late reply, because I’m fighing for a deadline for a
paper job.
NetJSON project proposal About me

   - Name: Xiang Gao (高翔)
   - Email: (spam-protected)
   - Blog: http://geekplux.com/
   - GitHub: https://github.com/geekplux
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/geekplux
   - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geekplux/
   - Country: China

Please click on the links above to find more information about me.

*Who are you? What’s the focus of your studies? What makes you the best
person to work on this project?*

   - I’m a graduate student studying in Hangzhou Normal university, and
   graduated from Qiongzhou university in China.
   - I’m a front-end developer with more than one-year working experience.
   But now I am interested in the Data Visualization and already made several
   visualization projects of network structure. Some demos using D3 are listed
   on my GitHub, I can send you more code fragments if you need.
   - I use JS and a few Python ordinarily. I’ve used the main trend
   frameworks like Vue, React and Angular1.x, and recently I usually use D3 to
   do a visualization work.

Experiences in Free Open Source Software

*What free and/or open source projects have you participated in? Please
describe your contributions, provide us links to your features and commits.*

If you go to https://opensourcecontributo.rs/user/geekplux, you can see my
most contributions on GitHub which focused on Front-End and used
JavaScript. Some contribution like
https://github.com/CodeFalling/hexo-renderer-org/commits?author=geekplux is
not find in this page.
Project Proposal

Thanks for your previous letters, I’ve understood your goal.

   - Project Title: NetJSON-Vis
   - Possible Mentor: Nemesis

Description

netjsongraph.js has attracted quite some interest from around the world,
but I couldn’t dedicate much time to it recently. It is also lacking
automated tests and a modern build process. Probably it would be better to
develop it using ES6 (which have some kind of built-in templating feature)
and transpile it with babel.js.

Our goals should be the following:

   - make it faster with large numbers
   - make it more mobile friendly
   - use modern tools that are familiar to JS developers, so they can
   contribute more easily
   - add automated tests so we can be more confident of introducing changes
   - get rid of complex features
   - make it easy to extend, so users can experiment and build their own
   derivatives
   - make it easy to redraw/update the graph as new data comes in, at least
   at the library level we should support this

I recommend to use the http://sigmajs.org/ . If the performance is
bottleneck, We can use canvas or WebGL directly to draw a graph.
Tasks and Schedule

   - initial work: (create a new repo?) build a project with yarn, Webpack
   and Babel. *1~2 days*
   - draw a demo graph using canvas or WebGL. *1 week*
   - make a example page to show visualization results. *1~2days*
   - add test(using Ava and XO) and CI. *1~2days*
   - discuss and design visualization view *1 week*
   - visualization implemention. *6 weeks*
   - beautify the visualization. *1 weeks*
   - publish to npm. *1 day*
   - improve visualization and test. *2 weeks*
   - design interface for plugin *1 week*

My estimate of time is not accurate and it might be a bit short.

I think our implemention is data-driven, so we should design a data store
for graph generation. When the data store update, the graph will update,
too.
My Availability

   - *school-related activities*

Yes. Maybe I should write some code to assist the Phd students to complete
their paper. But I don’t have a full- or part-time job or internship
planned for this summer. Because to go to find a visualization job is
difficult :)

I might have at least 20 hours every week.
After GSoC

*Do you have plans to continue with your project within the freifunk
community after GSoC?*

It sounds great, I’m love to post a PR, so It’s exciting for me to be a
long-time maintainer for NetJSON.

Thanks again.

Xiang
​

Nemesis <(spam-protected)>于2017年3月3日周五 下午4:51写道: