[Interop-dev] Alias list in NetJSON

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 10 11:44:28 CEST 2015

On 06/01/2015 06:11 PM, Matthias Schiffer wrote:

>> > Matthias, could that addition help out with the use case of the local
>> > topology we were discussing in a previous mail?
>> >
>> > If each node advertised the secondary mac/ip address would it be
>> > possible to resolve the issue of the node seeing different mac addresses
>> > of the same node?
>> >
>> > Federico
>> >
> Well, as our "neighbours" format already contains a list of all local
> MAC addresses that is meshed over (a node in [1] is organized as a map
> "batadv"/local MAC/"neighbours"/remote MAC in the batman-adv case), we
> already have this information - you just need the local topology of two
> neighbouring nodes to see which addresses belong to the same node.
>
> In our "nodeinfo" format we include some additional information about
> these addresses (see my comment on the Github issue). I guess this could
> be easily reorganized (the neighbour list might as well be part of the
> "monitoring" format), but I think all of this information is useful for
> visualization. For example, we display VPN tunnels in a less obtrusive
> way than WLAN links to keep the graph as clear as possible.

Hey matthias,

let's recap, i'm getting lost:

  * you also have a list of local addresses
  * this information is not enough to satisfy the need of a local
    topology as we were discussing in the other thread

Is this correct?

One direct question: what's your view on Gabriel's proposal of
standardizing the "local_addresses"?
Do you see any issue with it?
Do you consider it useful to have a standard way to represent this list?

Federico