[Interop-dev] Alias list in NetJSON

Matthias Schiffer (spam-protected)
Mon Jun 1 18:11:05 CEST 2015

On 06/01/2015 11:37 AM, Nemesis wrote:

>> I've opened an issue on github with a proposal, please comment it.
>>
>> https://github.com/interop-dev/netjson/issues/15
>
> Matthias, could that addition help out with the use case of the local
> topology we were discussing in a previous mail?
>
> If each node advertised the secondary mac/ip address would it be
> possible to resolve the issue of the node seeing different mac addresses
> of the same node?
>
> Federico

Well, as our "neighbours" format already contains a list of all local
MAC addresses that is meshed over (a node in [1] is organized as a map
"batadv"/local MAC/"neighbours"/remote MAC in the batman-adv case), we
already have this information - you just need the local topology of two
neighbouring nodes to see which addresses belong to the same node.

In our "nodeinfo" format we include some additional information about
these addresses (see my comment on the Github issue). I guess this could
be easily reorganized (the neighbour list might as well be part of the
"monitoring" format), but I think all of this information is useful for
visualization. For example, we display VPN tunnels in a less obtrusive
way than WLAN links to keep the graph as clear as possible.

Matthias

[1] http://metameute.de/~freifunk/alfred/neighbours.json