[Interop-dev] Topology JSON

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 5 08:39:49 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Nemesis <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> [MEGACUT]
>
> Sorry friends, I'm getting confused.
>
> Let's go back on the goal. What do we want from NetworkTopology JSON and
> NetworkRoutes JSON?

I think NetworkRoutes is the representation of the routing table
created by a routing agent. Doesn't matter how it was calculated, just
a bunch of destinations, next-hops, interfaces and "costs" to give you
an idea how far the destination is away compared to other routes.

NetworkTopology is the knowledge of the links in the whole mesh...
maybe we should split this into two "subgroups".

The "neighborhood" should contain knowledge about other routers you
can directly communicate to (and maybe data you directly got from them
for two-hop knowledge?). This is something the local router collected
itself and has a very accurate knowledge about. I think both
distance-vector and linkstate protocols collect this information.

The "topology" is knowledge about the whole network graph, most likely
based on information you got from other routers. Linkstate protocols
need this data to do their job, distance-vector protocols don't (but
might deliver it through some optional query mechanism).

> I know what I want, I would like to have some kind of JSON, that I can
> give in input that JSON to a visualization library and the library will
> draw a graph representing the network.
>
> Plus, I would like to be able to represent the static routes of a device
> in a configuration object, or the routes of a routing table as seen by a
> device.
>
> And I would like that these two structures would be able to represent
> the common cases of the open source routing protocols used in mesh /
> community networks plus it would be great to support OSPF.
>
> Can we achieve these 2 results with the two (draft) objects that we have
> now (NetworkRoutes and NetworkTopology)?

Henning Rogge