[Interop-dev] NetJSON: clarify what an ID is

Jernej Kos (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 13 12:36:20 CEST 2015

Hello!

On 13. 08. 2015 11:39, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> I'll repeat this, because it's important.  If a Babel node sees two
> neighbouring interfaces A and B, it cannot tell if A and B belong to the
> same node or not.

Indeed, there is no information in the protocol messages that could be
used to determine this. It would require having the Router ID in there.
So what Juliusz is saying is that the Babel daemon just can't provide
this information that you would like to have. It can only determine the
local interface and the peer link-local address of a link.

In order to reconstruct the topology, you need to collect link-local
addresses of interfaces on each node and then you actually see which
interface is connected to which neighbour's interface. So you get more
information, but you need to collect some more data.

We do this already in the new nodewatcher and nodewatcher-agent's Babel
module is reporting the link-local addresses of all Babel interfaces
exactly for this reason.

Jernej