[Interop-dev] NetJSON: clarify what an ID is

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Thu Aug 13 11:39:07 CEST 2015

> Visualizing 2 links between 2 nodes is surely possible but currently
> I have never seen this.

That happens all the time, we're running a lot of multi-radio nodes.

> Moreover, if the 2 logical links share the same physical channel, 99%
> users won't care.

I most respectfully disagree.

> In case of 2 nodes that have 2 different radio links (2.4 GHz and
> 5GHz), that could be interesting.

> We have to have to fined a good balance between
>
> simplicity and ease of implementation at the cost of reduced detail vs
> high detail at the cost of reduced simplicity

In this case, Babel is simply unable to provide the information you want.
Babel only knows about neighbouring *interfaces*, it doesn't know whether
the neighbouring interfaces belong to the same node or not.

I'll repeat this, because it's important.  If a Babel node sees two
neighbouring interfaces A and B, it cannot tell if A and B belong to the
same node or not.

-- Juliusz