[Interop-dev] Round 3 Network Device Config JSON Schema

Mitar (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 14 18:01:12 CET 2014

Hi!

> I still think "software" is better, because we can re-use the software
> section in a different context, e.g. for the version of the routing
> protocol.

I don't think it is a good idea to overload one field with similar but
still different meanings. It is better to define multiple fields for
multiple use cases. So we could have both "os" for firmware/operating
system, and "software" for some other use case. And then consumers of
that format could decide if they process this the same, or if they do it
differently.

I would propose verbose names. Like "operating_system" and not "os".
Schema is much more self-documenting then. (And I don't think that this
few bytes more really are a problem.)

Nemesis, thank you for doing all this hard work!

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/
https://twitter.com/mitar_m