[Interop-dev] Network Device JSON Schema

Jernej Kos (spam-protected)
Mon Nov 3 12:03:00 CET 2014

Hello!

On 03. 11. 2014 11:44, Nicolás Echániz wrote:
> The problem I wanted to address is: are we trying to define a model to
> best represent our devices on a map?

We probably will want to represent these devices on a map, but this
should be just one part of their configuration -- location information.

> If this is the case there are certain issues to discuss that are not
> important if we are not talking about mapping. For example the node/site
> concept for grouping devices. In some models the base object -which
> holds location data- is a node (which can contain multiple devices)
> while in others the base object is the device itself.

For us, a node is a single device. There could be many devices at a
single location, but each is represented by a node. You may then group
these nodes using some higher-level concept like "locations" or "sites",
but we currently do not model this in our schema.

I think that this grouping should be part of location data -- in the
same way that we include the node's address and geographical location,
there could also be a "site identifier" that is shared by multiple nodes.

I am not sure how different sites should be uniquely identified (we use
UUIDs for node identification to avoid identifier collisions, perhaps
this could be used also for sites?).

Jernej