[Interop-dev] Network Device JSON Schema

Nicolás Echániz (spam-protected)
Mon Nov 3 11:44:56 CET 2014

On 11/03/2014 05:13 AM, Jernej Kos wrote:

>> So... I'd ask. Do we first want to define a JSON schema for network
>> information we want to represent on a map? Or are we planning to
>> define a schema for all information regarding our network devices? I
>> know some implementations use a map as "navigation" to let the user
>> access further information on network devices, but I think it's
>> interesting to first focus on information relevant to showing a
>> network map.
>
> I believe that this effort is currently focusing on device
> configuration, not on reporting telemetry/monitoring data. As I
> explained in my previous e-mails these should be two different schemas.

Yes, sorry if I caused confusion explaining our case.

The problem I wanted to address is: are we trying to define a model to
best represent our devices on a map?

If this is the case there are certain issues to discuss that are not
important if we are not talking about mapping. For example the node/site
concept for grouping devices. In some models the base object -which
holds location data- is a node (which can contain multiple devices)
while in others the base object is the device itself.

Cheers,
Nico