[Interop-dev] Any progress on AlterMap?

Nicolás Echániz (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 30 10:36:29 CET 2012

On 10/30/12 06:09, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> couchdb is schemaless, so you can send any arbitrary JSON data you wish
>> to add to a node through HTTP, no need for pre-defined fields.
>
> I would just like to warn you that schemaless datastore is not magical
> solution. You still have to define how fields are named and what they
> mean. And sometimes this even add additional complexity to every
> consumer of this datastore: if fields are renamed, field types changed,
> every consumer has to know how to handle old and new names, new types.
>
> Schemaless datastores are a nice way to simplify programming when you
> are in control also of consumer/client. It is not a good way to define
> an API where "everybody can do whatever". I have not yet found such
> schemaless API defined anywhere in successful projects. (Please prove me
> wrong.) They might use schemaless datastores internally, but for
> interoperability with others they have to define some API (or function
> based or data based API).

Mitar, as I said in the email I just sent in reply to Federico, we are
not proposing an "everybody can do whatever" approach. We believe that
we can all agree on fundamental network data models that can be shared
accross different projects while maintaining sufficient versatility to
accommodate for more specific information on both the data and
visualization aspects.

A schemaless master-master replicating data store like couchdb with a
native RESTful HTTP API, could make all of this possible if properly
combined with a versatile map and data visualization solution. We hope
to be able to set this in motion and then see where it takes us...

> But, good initiative. I wish you all the best!

thanks :)