[Interop-dev] Any progress on AlterMap?

Mitar (spam-protected)
Tue Oct 30 10:09:22 CET 2012

Hi!

> couchdb is schemaless, so you can send any arbitrary JSON data you wish
> to add to a node through HTTP, no need for pre-defined fields.

I would just like to warn you that schemaless datastore is not magical
solution. You still have to define how fields are named and what they
mean. And sometimes this even add additional complexity to every
consumer of this datastore: if fields are renamed, field types changed,
every consumer has to know how to handle old and new names, new types.

Schemaless datastores are a nice way to simplify programming when you
are in control also of consumer/client. It is not a good way to define
an API where "everybody can do whatever". I have not yet found such
schemaless API defined anywhere in successful projects. (Please prove me
wrong.) They might use schemaless datastores internally, but for
interoperability with others they have to define some API (or function
based or data based API).

But, good initiative. I wish you all the best!

Mitar