[Interop-dev] CNML/Database Brainstorming: Help!

Federico Capoano (spam-protected)
Fri May 11 18:16:39 CEST 2012

*Zones*
are zone intended for routing only or are they also geographic zones?
Do we need to have 2 separate tables one for routing zones and one for
geographic zones or can they be joined together?
Do zones have routing protocol info in it? I'd suggest a
"default_protocol" field.
in CNML now zones are rectangular. Is there anybody that would like to
have them polygonal?

Shall we define a Zone?
Me and Ralf propose the following:
/A zone is an indpendent part of a network which is run by a group of
people in a geographic location.
//Zones can be nested (how many levels of nest?).
It should be possible to extract information from one or several zones.
Every zone is free to run its own nodeDB server.
Different nodeDB servers shall be interoperable with other zones.
Interoperability is achieved with a RESTful API/.

*Devices & Servers*
in the existing nodeDB i haven't seen yet (i haven't studied them all in
detail eheh) servers.
We probably need to be able to store different type of devices in a
database:

  * access points (meaning stuff like ubiquiti NanoStation M5 - what's
    the most correct name?)
  * servers (a very expensive brand new machine :D for example)
  * routers (yes.. a nanostation is also a router.. it's a tricky
    business this one)
  * more stuff? managed switches?

Making different database tables would mean duplicating relations with
interfaces and ip addresses.
Maybe this stuff should all go on a single table called "device" and we
should have "types" or "categories".

*Routing protocol*
a device might have more than one routing protocol, think a case in
which a node functions as a bridge between 2 networks with different
routing protocols.
The routing protocol could be installed on a server or an access point,
or any other machine that has enough resources to run it, that's why I
advice to have a single table for devices.
In my opinion routing protocols should be related to the device table
and it should be possible to assign more than one to a single device.

Please share your opinions and contribute to the discussion.

*Federico Capoano*
Web Designer & Web Developer
Portfolio/Blog: nemesisdesign.net <http://nemesisdesign.net>
Twitter: @nemesisdesign <http://twitter.com/nemesisdesign/>