[Interop-dev] Discussion is still!

Charles N Wyble (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 27 23:59:23 CEST 2012

On 04/27/2012 01:52 PM, Nicolás Echániz wrote:
> On 04/27/2012 02:37 PM, Duncan Ward wrote:
>> We've been a bit busy here resorting our hosting...the server is being
>> installed in the next week, and this will allow me to have both a
>> "production" and "development" install of <insertnamehere>

Excellent!

Charles Wyble here. I'm the co founder and CTO of the Free Network
Foundation (see www.freenetworkfoundation.org for more).

We would be happy to offer up our extensive resources on behalf of
interoperability.

See

http://staticbits.freenetworkfoundation.org/AustinLUG-4-01-2012/fnf-techoutreach-presentation.pdf

for an over vie of the stack we are working on.

We have

FreedomLab (a continuous integration and wired network test lab) (More
here
http://freenetworkfoundation.org/pipermail/builders_freenetworkfoundation.org/2012-April/000365.html
)

FreedomNOC (a global NOC with ticketing, monitoring, asset management,
technician dispatch etc)

FreedomTower (access platform)
FreedomNode (user premise gear to reach the Tower)
FreedomLink (anchor point for towers)
FreedomTunnel  (networking software to handle authentication/encryption)

If you all would be interested in using our builders mailing list, just
let me know. We've assembled a strong community on that list.

The goal of the FNF is to build turn key platforms that make mesh very
easy to deploy.

>> I suggested nodesoup and certainly still stand behind it, the original
>> thinking was around the stone soup parable, where all the participants
>> bring their own contribution and the end product is greater than any
> of the
>> individual parts.

Nice!

>> However I also like the branding idea behind *stack, such that each
>> component can carry the same name and they all get bundled into a custom
>> stack.

This is the approach Free Network Foundation has taken. Freedom* ==
FreedomStack. We are doing our first full deployment of the stack in
Kansas City. We will be purchasing an ARIN IPv6 block very soon. These
IP addresses will be handed out to local meshes as they come on line.

>>  My only concern with this is the use of the word free which
>> is ambiguous in English, and taking inspiration from the well known phrase
>> "free as in liberty rather than free as in beer", I propose;
>>
>> libertystack.org
>>
>> and from there we have libertynode, libertyconf, libertysplash,
> libertymap,
>> libertypancakes, etc...

Nice.

How about Freedom instead of Free?