[Interop-dev] mapserver UI

OrazioPirataDelloSpazio (Lorenzo) (spam-protected)
Sat Apr 7 15:59:46 CEST 2012

Hi all and happy Easter! :)

I read the ideas on http://titanpad.com/interop but I did not see any
part about the frontend and the user interface.
How this project will look like? I mean, not just the "colors", but what
it will display to people?

This will be a crucial issue because the main job of the mapserver would
be to visualize the network status to newcomers/visitors (many people!)
and to push them to "join the game". On the same time, at least for our
community, it helps us (few people!) to keep track of network data and
topology so basically network monitoring and db frontend.

My personal opinion is: frontend with a big map, search and
visualization options and tools and some social stuff (fb, twitter
buttons or whatever). Really simple.
Other pages/tabs with a bigger level of details for technicians, maybe
"inspired" by [1] Ubiquiti AirControl, but read-only for anonymous user
(so that people could use the mapserver for troubleshooting, and curious
ppl could see more details).

Moreover: do you think the mapserver should store nodes password?

Lorenzo

[1] http://goo.gl/tR6SK