[Discuss] is this mailing list working?

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Di Mär 15 20:06:30 CET 2011

Hello erico

as harald already provided u with many gerneral information, i will know
focus just on prices and some links to recommandable hardware and
combinations,..

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Érico Porto <(spam-protected)>wrote:

> Thanks, that was a complete answer - I was actually thinking more about
> memory and processing requirements.
>
> Arm is something we are looking at right now, but we have two problems:
>
> 1 - Our projects do not aim to result in million products or something like
> this, we will use really small quantities during development and not a lot
> processors after when shipping the products - they are meant to provide
> web/connected access to small cities AFAIK...

this still easily goes into hundreds of devices,..  (which allows u to get
at least some better prices)

So no company is really interested in providing us development kits and
> processors - with a reasonable lead time.

hmm many devkits are readily available in single quantities.

> 2 - Other bigger developers are not interested in sharing the discoveries
> they have made, so having a start point it's being difficult.

so u might have to buy complete products (e.g. ubiquity has many nice &
still reasonable priced ones,..)

> If you know any good chip to look at, please let me know

hmm i think your hardware option this depends mostly on how much money u
want to spend,.. *G

here some examples out of of the super cheap but recommandable mips based
router hardware,.. (mixed/compared with arm stuff *G)

20€ quite capable hardware (same as in "newer/faster" ubiquiti outdoor
devices), but as soho router in an indoor case, (e.g. tplink wr741nd)
25€ --,,-- same with additional usb port (tplink aswell)
30€ device with outdoor case, but slow/limited) (e.g. ubiquiti bullet)
35€ outdoorcase, integrated antenna, but slow (e.g. ubiquiti nanostation
loco)
50-75€ "newer/faster" ubiquiti outdoor variants (nanostaion m2, bullet m2,
airgrid, nanobridge)

10€ for a "good" usb wifi (with removeable antenna!) (e.g. 8€ Tplink
TL-WN722N atheros, 12€ Edimax EW-7711Usn ralink)

40€-100€ cheapest arm-boards available in small quantities (ethernet,
usually 2x usb, defintiely more performance than anything above, and less
power consumption aswell)
but theese boards might require addtional daughterboards to be "easy"
useable,
but imho a (complete) custom board layout is surely not really required for
your intended use,..

some examples:
99€
http://www.ic-board.de/product_info.php?info=p105_ICnova-SAM9G45-OEM.html (they
have a quite nice 29€ "development/breakout" board)
$99 http://www.embedinfo.com/en/list.asp?id=75
<http://www.variscite.com/products/item/32-var-som-am35?gclid=CIXexo-X0acCFQsJ3wod40wYCg>$139
somewhat nicer 2.54mm "pinout" http://armkits.com/Product/mini6045.asp
$49 (cortex a8!), sodimm interface
http://www.variscite.com/products/item/32-var-som-am35?gclid=CIXexo-X0acCFQsJ3wod40wYCg
(i`m
not sure about the minimum quantity there (if u find out pls let me know
*GG))

based on such core-boards, u can design a quite simple custom
breakout/daughterboard yourself, or just use exisitng ones.

to sum this up,..
(i´ll sum this up for triple wifi nodes, but of course u can build nodes
with this components with 2 antennas usually for 70-85% of the price, or 4
antennas for 110-130%)

based on an 25€ tplink router (with 2 usbsticks), u can get a 3 wifi setup
with 400mhz mips24k and 32MB ram for less than 50€ (without antennas and
casing))

or if u need/want more performance (less power consumption), probably longer
lifetime, or much more expanding possibilities u might get away with 100€
for an arm based solution,.. (not if u want to build a single node)

both above options will require at least 50€ more to get power supply,
casing #1 and 3 accpetable/bad *g antennas *G

but 100/150€ for a complete triple wifi node isn`t that bad, imho,..

or u take 3 ubiquitiy devices, and end at 150-200€ (or 100€ if the old 16MB
ar23xx <=200mhz mips4k ones are acceptable) + an indoor switch

a good option would be to use the tplink in an outdoor casing or an
antennabox #1 as a "base" to add ubiquitiy routers and/or maybe usbsticks,
to form an very flexible node setup,..

Markus

#1 http://wlanshop.sk/sk/detail/box24-cpe14.html (u can get them for < 10€)

p.s. you`ll find many more links similar to above on alpenrouter.xaok.org,..
(which is mostly written by me *G)
and hopefully soon some more details and driver patches for EW-7711Usn (a
recommendable usb-stick *G)
and netusg20 (not really recommendable 400mhz arm9 board *G) , if i find
time to create wiki-pages from my notes *G