[Discuss] is this mailing list working?

Érico Porto (spam-protected)
Do Mär 3 19:15:18 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm from Brasil! (Brasilien) I've been reading about the Freifunk firmware
and the OpenWRT, and also the OLSRd implementation and the Madwifi driver.
Actually, I'm still just a electric engineer student, and I can read german
- but to write I still have a limited vocabulary, so that's why I prefer
talking here in english, which is not so good either.

I study in the Unicamp, and there are a lot of WG, where the students live
with each other. Ok, so they all pay for cable internet service, and it cost
a lot of money, since they usually acquire rates that are higher than the
normal domestic rates. (This paragraph is a bit confusing, so if you guys
don't understand, tell me!)

I'm also on a internship in a company here that make research and
development, in the communications area, to other companies. Currently I'm
working with cognitive radios and test my experiments through NS-2 and other
simulation software. We are at a very early step in development.

So I was thinking about something like, and if I could give everyone free
access to the web, but have the control to the routers firmware, this would
make possible to test application in field, which would be great.

Anyway, I don't know how far this is possible, but at the moment I'm just
looking to test routing algorithms and some other plugins. Like, to work in
layers above 2.

The hardware is possible to make from scratch here if necessary.

Just joined the group because I felt the website and everything had little
information on how is the whole open network working, how do you
authenticate users, or not, how many nodes - and how many gateways are
needed to make access to web available to all.

Regards

Érico V. Porto