[Interop-dev] NetJSON: clarify what an ID is

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Tue Aug 11 13:30:21 CEST 2015

Hey Mario,

On 08/11/2015 01:15 PM, Mario Behling wrote:
> Thanks for following up on this point. What is your personal idea?
> What other fields might be unclearly defined?

Ok, I'll answer below with what I remember.

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Nemesis <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> following the previous discussion on the interop-dev ML:
>> https://lists.funkfeuer.at/pipermail/interop-dev/2015-July/000482.html and
>> at the battlemesh, we need to clarify what an ID is and make sure that is
>> compatible with all the routing protocols.
>>
>> So here's 3 questions:
>>
>> Github issue: https://github.com/interop-dev/netjson/issues/19
>>
>> make clear what an ID is (eg: can it be also a non-address, like a hash?)

an ID is the way a router/node is identified in "NetworkRoutes" and
"NetworkGraph", it can be any string.
Feel free to propose a better definition.

>> you use the concept of ID also for routes but you expect addresses, please
>> clarify

Probably routes in NetworkRoutes should expect addresses only and avoid
confusion with router IDs,

In NetworkGraph instead, source and target should probably allow the
usage of router IDs.

>> which attributes do refer to IDs in NetworkGraph and NetworkRoutes

In NetworkRoutes:

  * router_id

In NetworkGraph:

  * router_id