[Wien] Di 10.7, 19:00 - Libreboot and Replicant Workshop

Peter Kuhm (spam-protected)
Mo Jul 9 14:36:22 CEST 2018

/ Hi, im Juni hab ich euch gegen Ende des offiziellen MoMo den Florentin
/ von technoethical.com vorgestellt. Er war grad zu Besuch im Lab und
/ durfte euch noch in einem spontanen Talk sein Projekt näher bringen,
/ weil potentiell auch für manche aus der 0xFF-Community interessant.
/ Ein  Workshop im Lab wurde in Aussicht gestellt - und den gibts nun
/ am  Di ab 19 Uhr:

==> https://metalab.at/wiki/Libreboot_and_Replicant_Workshop

--- snip ---

== Libreboot and Replicant Workshop ==

Related to this, we want to promote libre software and compatible hardware more,
and to collaborate with people in hackerspaces and event organizers, to deliver workshops there.

Since I (Florentin) come regularly (a few times a year) to Vienna, we thought
of organizing Libreboot (Coreboot) and Replicant workshops in Metalab.

When

    Tue., 10.7.2018, 19:00

    (I will also be in Metalab on Mon., 09.7.2018, evening)

What the workshop would be

=== Libreboot - Libre replacement for BIOS ===

- hardware compatibility & downloading the right image
- getting to know the tools and the targets
- flashing the chip where the BIOS is stored, using flashrom, an external SPI programmer and a clip (or soldered wires)
- setting up the GRUB payload by modifying grub.cfg in the CBFS, using cbfstool

=== Replicant - Libre replacement for the phones' main OS ===

- flashing a recovery image, using heimdall (for Samsung phones)
- installing a system zip from Recovery, using a micro USB cable
- connecting to Internet with an external WiFi adapter that has libre driver+firmware
- talking about future development, external bluetooth, external GPS, DIY phones, etc.

--- snap ---