[Wien] strange RSTs over IPv4

Ralf Schlatterbeck (spam-protected)
Mo Apr 23 13:58:25 CEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:29:43AM +0200, Albert Rafetseder wrote:

> The packet traces indeed look like a machine on the path between the
> server and you injects an RST, "Great Firewall" style. If I remember
> correctly, machines used to send an RST by default when seeing a packet
> their stack doesn't expect --- like from a connection they didn't
> initiate, etc.

Maybe an IP-Address conflict?
The symptoms (failing SSH-Logins from a known Site like Metalab, TCP Resets)
look like packets are alternately routed to two different machines, both
with the same IP-Address. Maybe the other person with the unsuccessful
ssh tries was trying to reach *their* IP not yours?

It is defined behaviour in TCP to reset a connection the host doesn't
know anything about. Excactly that would happen when two host share an
IP address.

Ralf
--
Ralf Schlatterbeck             email: (spam-protected)