[Wien] ipv6 with olsrd2?

Erich N. Pekarek (spam-protected)
Di Aug 15 16:52:36 CEST 2017

Hello!

Am 2017-08-15 um 14:16 schrieb Henning Rogge:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Markus Kittenberger
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> my 2 cents are that bridges without WDS already cause ipv4 problems and not
>> only issues with ipv6, so they should never have been used.
>>
>> Unfortunately i fear there are still quite a few of them in our network.
> If I got the stories right the WDS (bridging) stuff was good in
> tricking Olsrd1 believing a long range multihop (and well working
> link) was a well working single-hop link.
While some may have used such a wireless repeater in that way, this has
never been advised, up to my knowledge.
Setups, where this would have been used, would be setups with unmodified
standard AP hardware involved.

This is now again the case, with those edge router setups and similiar -
but only with dedicated vlan and/or ports.

> This was definitely necessary in OLSRv1 because it had no concept of
> link speed and neighborhood size.
Ack.

> But the real solution should be to make sure Olsrd2 measures the link
> cost right... so if there are good examples of links Olsrd2 classifies
> "too good", a modification of the metric would be the right thing.
I am still not really familiar with the way OLSRv2 measures this. Now
that we are to be confronted with a rising number of locked firmwares as
a result of the assimilation of FCC regulations in Europe, bridged
setups will come to a renaissance.
If you have advise on how to do that right, it'd be highly welcome.

> Henning
Greetings
Erich