[Nodedb-interop] About software for free wireless networks

Ariel Camino (spam-protected)
Sat Apr 7 22:55:55 CEST 2012

El 07/04/12 17:32, Federico Capoano escribió:
> Hey,
>
> Il 07/04/2012 21.32, Ariel Camino ha scritto:
>> [CUT]
>>
>> freeNetGIS means free networks Geographical Information System (GIS for
>> community networks).
>>
>> It is inspired by similar projects, among which may be mentioned:
>>
>> * NodeShot [0]: -> Maps [1]
>> * BALLS (Buenos Aires Free Location System) [2] -> Maps [3]
>> * FFSomething [4] -> Maps [5]
>> * Guifi.net [6] -> Maps [7]
>>
>> Has a number of technical features that differentiate it from other
>> projects, among which are:
>>
>> - Based on the Django web framework (GeoDjango [8])
>
> Cool, we are using the same framework.
>
>> Abstracts of geospatial queries [9] and the handling of geometric data
>> types [10] and can be used as a postgis backend [11], mysql, oracle and
>> / or SpatiaLite [12].
>>
>> - You are not restricted only to an propietary API
>>
>> Use OpenLayers [13] for the map display, which allows using layers of
>> different servers at the same time:
>> * Open Street Maps - free [14]
>> * Google Maps - owner [15]
>> * Yahoo Maps - owner [16]
>> * Bing Maps - owner [17]
>
> this would be cool, I don't really care about yahoo or bing, i care more
> about OSM.
>
>> - You don't need internet
>>
>> Using databases that store geographic objects, you can import vector
>> geospatial (eg shapefiles [18), so you don't need internet connectivity
>> to display map layers.
>
> This would be really cool
>
>> - It focuses on decentralization
>>
>> Techniques are being developed using the protocol PubSubHubbub
>> synchronization [19], this allows you to synchronize the application
>> with instances of the same system and with other systems using a
>> standard publication in common, such as GeoRSS [20].
>
> This would be really cool
>
>> Currently the project is in development, the code is hosted at github
>> [21] and are open to any developer who has wanted to make contributions.
>>
>> I would like to collaborate on your project and see if we can implement
>> some of these ideas.
>>
>> The website is down (freenetgis.org) :( i have to fix it.
>
> From my point of view you are mostly welcome in joining the discussion
> to see how we can proceed on this. Apparently there is quite a lot of
> interest from different communities around the world on this type of
> software, so maybe is the right moment to start collaborating.
>
> Subscribe to the mailing list here:

:D i'm now suscribed

> If you know other people that might be interested tell them about it.
>
> PS: how did you find us? :-)
>

> *Federico Capoano*

Nico Echániz sent the battle-mesh thread with the pad:
http://ml.ninux.org/pipermail/battlemesh/2012-April/001677.html

to the [RedesLibres] list (about interoperation of free networks of
latin america). The people on the list are aware of this issue.

Regards!
--
Ariel Camino