[Nodedb-interop] About software for free wireless networks

Ariel Camino (spam-protected)
Sat Apr 7 21:32:47 CEST 2012

Excuse my english, i was watching this pad:
http://titanpad.com/interop

and i have a project i never had time to finish, my idea was to build at
least a prototype, there are some things that are different, eg this:

    lat = models.FloatField(_('latitude'))
    lng = models.FloatField(_('longitude'))

and this:

 ubication = models.PointField()

you can see more examples in the little code i have on github [21]

This is the general description i had written in reStructuredText:

freeNetGIS means free networks Geographical Information System (GIS for
community networks).

It is inspired by similar projects, among which may be mentioned:

* NodeShot [0]: -> Maps [1]
* BALLS (Buenos Aires Free Location System) [2] -> Maps [3]
* FFSomething [4] -> Maps [5]
* Guifi.net [6] -> Maps [7]

Has a number of technical features that differentiate it from other
projects, among which are:

- Based on the Django web framework (GeoDjango [8])

Abstracts of geospatial queries [9] and the handling of geometric data
types [10] and can be used as a postgis backend [11], mysql, oracle and
/ or SpatiaLite [12].

- You are not restricted only to an propietary API

Use OpenLayers [13] for the map display, which allows using layers of
different servers at the same time:
* Open Street Maps - free [14]
* Google Maps - owner [15]
* Yahoo Maps - owner [16]
* Bing Maps - owner [17]

- You don't need internet

Using databases that store geographic objects, you can import vector
geospatial (eg shapefiles [18), so you don't need internet connectivity
to display map layers.

- It focuses on decentralization

Techniques are being developed using the protocol PubSubHubbub
synchronization [19], this allows you to synchronize the application
with instances of the same system and with other systems using a
standard publication in common, such as GeoRSS [20].

Currently the project is in development, the code is hosted at github
[21] and are open to any developer who has wanted to make contributions.

I would like to collaborate on your project and see if we can implement
some of these ideas.

The website is down (freenetgis.org) :( i have to fix it.

Thanks!
--
Ariel Camino

[0] http://wiki.ninux.org/NodeShot