[Nodedb-interop] Frontend for common node database

Mitar (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 11 22:30:42 CEST 2011

Hi!

> Your question was if the common node database will have a frontend.

For nodewatcher system Kostko has developed an automatic system which
generates the frontend based on the schema. Very heavy stuff, supporting
customized default rules, dynamic forms based on selected fields, value
validation and error reporting and many more.

> Then we will write conversion mechanisms so that the data can be
> imported and exported from other node databases to the common node
> database.

I am not sure if this is viable? Isn't it the idea that our node
database systems adapt this schema so that real-time integration of
different components can occur? Not that we have just one-time
translation? (OK, if all systems start using this schema also
internally, but I doubt if this is possible.)

One more thing we should define is probably if we are talking about
common schema for data exchange (so read only) or also for data
updating. Like collecting all data to a common world map of nodes would
be read only operation. But being able to have one frontend to many
different node database systems would need also updating (and some API).
I am thinking that we are mostly all the time thinking about the first
one only, true?

> I´m not really shure if this will be possible, but my personal goal is, that
> each community does not need to make the software work twice.

Personally (but I would not like to repeat myself here too much) I
believe that this is not enough and that we also need to make software
itself modular and with interchangeable components. So that we can
collaborate also on software development. Not that everybody will again
write their own map solution, only with same schema.

> I have already seen that you are planning to rewrite WiND in version
> 2. Maybe this can be the point to merge development and to design
> something that fits the need of every community?

We are already working on something like this with our 3.0 version of
nodewatcher.

 As developer of our node database (Netmon, http://netmon.freifunk-