[Nodedb-interop] Research on Open Wireless community

Mathias Mahnke (spam-protected)
Sun Jul 3 17:36:28 CEST 2011

Hi Clemens,

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 11:43:39 +0200, Clemens John <(spam-protected)>
wrote:
> Who can I also interview?

we can also support - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern around Rostock / Germany
("Opennet Initiative e.V." - http://www.opennet-initiative.de/). Let me
know, if we can help out.

> Now the quesions I have until now:
> *what is the main goal of the network?
> *number of nodes:
> *which hardware do you use?
> *which routing protocols do you use?
> *Do you have accesspoints open for the general public?
> *general wireless concept:
> *special features (firmware or network design)
> *how do you connect nodes that cannot see other nodes wireless?
> *does a client need special software to fully use the network?
> *how do you get the network stable?
> *what is you method to get high bandwidth available?
> *how do you handle high traffic? How do you handle traffic pigs?
> *do you have a backbone network?
> *what do you use the backbone for?
> *how does the backbone network work? Which hardware do you use for this?
> *What are the steps involved when someone wants to join the network?
> Please
> describe as detailed as possible... every step
> *how do you provide Internet access?
> *how do yo solve legal problems if someone does something illegal with a
> open
> internet connection?
> *Who pays for the Internet uplink?
> *Are there any rules which traffic is allowed or which traffic you
> tolerate in
> your network?
> *Which rules are this?
> *Do you enforce the Pico Peering Agreement? How?
> *Who setups up the nodes?
> *Do you have paid people?
> *how do you handle money?
> *What is the financial sustainability model? Do you have one?
> *What expenses does the association / network have? How are these costs
> covered?
> *common problems in your network
> *Possible future directions for your network
> *Possible future directions for your node administration software (aka
> node
> database)

Do you need it in English or German? Any preference?

Regards
Mathias