[Interop-dev] GSoC 2017 student application

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 1 09:49:55 CET 2017

I'm contributor OpenWISP, NetJSON and Ninux and I have been mentor and
organization admin for Freifunk a few times in the previous years
(almost every year since 2011), I know personally many people in
Freifunk and we are good friends.

All these projects have a slightly different scope but have one common
denominator: they want to make it easier to build bottom-up computer
networks (wireless, mesh, wired, radio, fiber, whatever technology).

The NetJSON implementation ideas present in
http://openwisp.org/gsoc/ideas-2017.html are focused on the
configuration part (NetJSON DeviceConfiguration), which is the current
focus of OpenWISP 2.

NetJSON is an open format and can be implemented by any software.
My aim in trying to get NetJSON accepted as a mentoring organization was
to help it gain popularity, but I knew the chances were not very high so
I made sure to write the same project ideas in multiple places, because
I think those project ideas are valid and useful indipendently on which
umbrella organization works on them, be it Freifunk, Ninux or NetJSON.
Since in the ninux.org community network we are using the NetJSON
NetworkGraph objects to collect and visualize topology information, it
makes sense to keep working on this front with Freifunk, which is an
Umbrella organization for community networks.

But this are just my ideas and do not represent the view of Freifunk as
I haven't had the time to discuss thoroughly with them. The number of
available projects will depend on the number of applications Freifunk gets.

Therefore, if you like the project you were interested in, get involved
as soon as you can, show that you care, that you are able to improve it
so it can be useful to all the communities collaborating with Freifunk.
We are actively looking for new, valid and passionate contributors, if
you think you are one, show us!

Federico