[Interop-dev] make metric a optional property of NetworkRoutes, NetworkGraph, and each Route object

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Mar 3 20:01:46 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Axel Neumann <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noted that currently the metric elements are required properties of
> NetworkRoutes and NetworkGraph objects.

Yes.

> With bmx6 (also old bmxd and bmx7) the metric to be used for
> establishing routes towards a destination is individually defined by
> each destination node.

a netjson output should be the local view of the node, so I think this
should still work for bmx7... does it?

As a Distance-Vector protocol you most likely don't have a full
NetworkGraph anyways.

> I think also with olsrv2 multi-topology routing this might become
> relevant as different metrics might then be used for different
> destination addresses.

Olsrd2 just outputs multiple NetworkGraph/NetworkRoute blocks with
different metric/topology-id.

> I therefore suggest to make the metric property of each route object
> optional and add an optional metric property to the NetworkRoutes and
> NetwokGraph objects.

I don't think this is a good idea. This makes the whole graph
practically useless for determining which node is close and which is
not.

Henning