[Interop-dev] NetJSON DNS-SD service name & registry

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Sun Apr 24 16:05:30 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

while discussing NetJSON in the (spam-protected) mailing list, Barbara Stark
sent two very good suggestions, I paste that passage below

On 04/14/2016 06:20 PM, STARK, BARBARA H wrote:

> I looked over the stuff at the netjson website and think it's great.
I've been thinking we need something like this for several years now and
kept meaning to try to get something started (but always got
side-tracked). I'm thrilled to see that someone has done all this work
and really like the quality and readability of the spec, and high-level
design choices that have been made. I'll be looking the spec over in
more detail to see if I can provide meaningful feedback.

> Some additional items I'd like to explore are:
>  - Define/register a service name
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xml)
that can be used by devices wanting to advertise/discover (DNS-SD) URLs
where such info is exposed via an HTTP API.
>  - Better define processes that would allow other orgs to extend. I
see the custom members registry, but think a little more definition is
needed. I'm wondering if it might be possible to define some syntax to
make it easy for orgs with formal registered namespace
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xhtml) to
extend. Or define more formal processes.

Below she gave me other suggestions regarding the service name and
DNS-SD discovery, which I'm forwarding to you all with her permission.

Read below and let me know what you think.
In the meanwhile I'm working to improve the website and I will try to
address the registry of extensions, although I believe more iterations
will be needed to get it in a way that is easy to add extensions and
easy to understand how these extensions are being used.

Federico