[Interop-dev] make metric a optional property of NetworkRoutes, NetworkGraph, and each Route object

Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Mon Apr 4 12:46:23 CEST 2016

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:38:51PM +0200, Axel Neumann wrote:
> On 03.04.2016 19:40, Nemesis wrote:
>
> > Do you know other routing protocols that implement multiple metrics?
>
> Yes! Olsr was initially based on hop-count metric before moving to ETX
> and now suggesting DAT.
> Not sure if babelZ metric, a version to take radio frequency
> interference into account, is different from standard babel metric.
>
> And NO! As far as I know, none of them support different metrics at the
> same time. Not by a single protocol process. Rather I expect other
> protocols to be able to identify and strictly discard any protocol
> message based on a different metric. Because if different metrics
> (functions interpreting metric values) would be considered (maybe
> accidentally due different code revisions or metric configurations of
> individual nodes) between protocol processes running in different nodes
> this could cause route inconsistencies and loops.

I remember that on one of the OLSR-Interop meetings we actually had a
group present an extension to OLSR which would deal with multiple
metrics at once, however it was (if I remember correctly) somehow
connected to different ToS bits being set or so.

The idea (again, if I remember correctly) was that you would route
different packets (let's say latency senstive ones) differently
according to different metrics.

Anyway. No idea if this ever made it into practice in some network.

Best,
a.