[Interop-dev] hello new subscribers

Nemesis (spam-protected)
Sun May 31 15:09:17 CEST 2015

On 05/26/2015 02:16 AM, Matthias Schiffer wrote:
> On 05/19/2015 06:18 PM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:
[...]
>> But... this being said, now it's your turn for the new members to this list to speak up!
>> Do you want to briefly introduce yourselves?
>> What brought you here? What motivates you? What do you want to see done? What do you want to contribute?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Aaron.
> Hello interop-dev!
>
> I'm Matthias (NeoRaider on Github / in IRC) from the Freifunk project of
> Lübeck, Germany. Frederico suggested me to join the list at the Wireless
> Community Weekend in Berlin last week.
>
> I'm one of the core developers of the Gluon firmware framework used by
> many German Freifunk communities. As we're also developing visualization
> systems in and around Gluon, we're in the constant process of inventing,
> refining and extending information formats like those NetJSON tries to
> define. The other Gluon core developer Nils, who has joined this list as
> well, is the original author of the ffmap and MeshViewer projects used
> by many Freifunk communities for visualization. Long story short, we'd
> love to make our tools more interoperable by making Gluon emit NetJSON
> and add NetJSON support to ffmap/MeshViewer :)

Welcome you all, I think we are all very happy to have you on board.

> You can see parts of our current data formats at [1] and [2] (look for
> the entry "68:72:51:20:db:cc" to see the current version, most nodes
> aren't updated to the latest Gluon version yet). Some information in our
> current format is redundant as we're trying to provide backwards
> compatiblity for at least a few Gluon versions. We're also currently
> replacing the alfred/batadv-vis-internal topology information format
> with an own extensible JSON format (to make it independent of alfred and
> generally more flexible).
>
> As you can see, many parts of our "nodeinfo" and "statistics" are
> already similar to the "Network Device Configuration" and "Device
> Monitoring" NetJSON objects. For the parts that aren't, I hope we'll
> find time soon to think up proposals how to extend NetJSON to support
> all of our usecases :)
>
> Matthias
>

> [1] http://metameute.de/~freifunk/alfred/nodeinfo.json
> [2] http://metameute.de/~freifunk/alfred/statistics.json

Amazing to notice you came up with a format that is not too different
from the NetworkDevice, which is a synthesis of the data one can get
from ubus, nodewatcher-agent, openwifi map and the nodeshot API.

Well the next thing is to start using it in the real world. We'll be
doing that in the next couple of months, hopefully if other people do it
we can gather feedback and talk about it in person at the battlemesh and
CCC.

Federico