[Interop-dev] NetJSON node positions

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Jul 3 18:50:05 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Nemesis <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> So if you want to list node geographic positions and keep this object
> separate from a NetworkGraph object, you should definitely not define a
> new standard but use GeoJSON, which is widely adopted and highly
> interoperable (you can create a leaflet map from GeoJSON with very few
> lines of code).

Is there a good way to put the "router-ids" into the GeoJSON format,
one for each "point" ?

Otherwise it would be difficult to combine the positions with the
attributes generated from the rest of NetJSON.

> Nobody forbids to add the coordinates in custom attributes in the
> NetworkGraph or DeviceConfiguration objects.
> I would prefer to discuss again the geo issue after we have more
> implementations and we have working real world solutions.

Putting them into the Network Graph doesn't make much sense for most
community networks. The graph is a dynamic thing that comes from the
routing protocol. The positions will be static for each node.

DeviceConfiguration... hmm... do we want to require the device
configuration output of EACH node to build a map?

Henning