[Interop-dev] Round 2: Network Device Config JSON Schema

Jernej Kos (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 5 13:36:21 CET 2014

Hello!

On 05. 11. 2014 13:25, Mitar wrote:
> Or maybe it is just misunderstanding in terminology. Is it for you
> "configuration" also what you read from the device as its current
> configuration? Not what you write/use when creating/configuring a device?

This is possible. So to clarify, for me "configuration" refers to the
latter. The former "configuration" is actually "monitoring" for me --
data that is reported by the devices (the current state of the device,
telemetry, monitoring data).

If what you actually suggested to describe is monitoring data (state of
a device) then this is indeed a misunderstanding in terminology.

So for example "memory limit" can be in both roles, the device JSON
might be used for saying "I want memory limit to be set to this value"
(configuration). But it may also be "Memory limit is currently set to
this value" (monitoring).

But some attributes are not this way. For example it makes no sense to
say "I want the number of running processes to be 10" (configuration).
But it makes sense to report "There are currently 10 running processes
on this device" (monitoring).

This is the reason I first asked what exactly you wanted to define. By
looking at your first schema proposal, it looked like you were trying to
do monitoring (reporting on current state of the device). But then, when
I asked on the mailing list, everybody said "no no, we want to do
configuration". So I said ok, let's do configuration first.

So which is it? :-)

Jernej