[Interop-dev] Round 2: Network Device Config JSON Schema

Mitar (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 5 12:44:30 CET 2014

Hi!

> Yes we should, and something I need right now is a schema that is able
> to tell me information like cpu, ram, and so on.

Tell you what is measured CPU and RAM, or configured CPU and RAM?

> I was not implying that we should define everything, just that we should
> make it possible to have a few attributes that do not necessary mean
> that they can be changed by some software.

True. But it should be clear that it is configuration. Not monitoring.
So yes, there are cases when it is necessary to configure also RAM and
CPU. I have not seen such cases in mesh networks, but if you have such
needs, then let's define it. Just we should be careful to carefully
define that it is configuration, not measurement.

> Indeed the information represented here is something I'm also extracting
> via SNMP.

Yes, but SNMP is measurements, not configuration. No?

> But is there a known and widely adopted JSON schema already? If yes
> please provide information.

We could translate some existing XML schema into JSON schema?

And sadly I don't know much about industry standards. :-( So not sure if
there are things already there. But for general network devices there
probably is.

> Is there a JSON schema that is already being used by few softwares that
> deal with networks?

For configuration or monitoring?

> I thought that every software implemented its own JSON API, XML or
> whatever, but I might be wrong. It would be much better if you provided
> some links or some background info.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/models.py

Mitar

--