[Interop-dev] domain name / project name

Nicolás Echániz (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 13 18:54:25 CEST 2012

Hi,

Mi name is NicoEchániz, this is my first post to the list, so I'll add
a (brief?) intro.

********** INTRO, please skip it if you find it long to read **********

I've been doing free-network stuff for a while (around 10 years now). I
started in Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I built one of the first nodes
for BuenosAiresLibre.org

I was the coordinator of the first JRRL (Free Networks Regional
Meeting), where Ramón Roca (from guifi.net) was our guest keynote and
members from Latin American networks intentionally gathered for the
first time. I've been very active in the formulation of the Free
Networks Manifesto[0]

I'm now living in a small town in Córdoba province where we are
building a new network: QuintanaLibre.org.ar. It's an ad-hoc mesh
using batman advanced for dynamic routing.
You may find information here (spanish but g.translator might help):
http://wiki.arraigodigital.org.ar/RedLibre/Diseño
And some pictures from the kickstart event (QuintanaCamp) here:
http://www.lavecindaria.org.ar/category/quintanacamp/

QuintanaLibre.org is the first experimental implementation of a low cost
design for mesh networks that we intend to re-use in hundreds of
small towns around the country, in colaboration with the national
Ministry of Education, through the Arraigo Digital plan[1].

On another note, I work as a software developer for Código Sur[2]
where my main task is the development of Cyclope[3], a Django based
CMS designed for social organizations and movements.

Now... about the name for the interop project I've proposed one (in
the Titan Board, as suggested by Mario): FreeNetStack

According to what I've read, what we will be building is a complete
software stack for Free Networks, with modules for mapping (GIS),
monitorization, deployment (node configuration), management and
more... hence the name proposal.

I've long dreampt of a tighter collaboration between free networks
from South and North of the globe so I'll be participating in this
process with enthusiasm.

Cheers,
NicoEchániz

[0] http://redeslibres.altermundi.net/Manifiesto